How to get the best out of your massage…
- Don’t eat right before a massage.
Why? Laying on your front side can upset your stomach. Avoid eating just before so you are as comfortable as possible.
- Take valerian root 1 hour prior to massage (Dosing is different for every individual)
Why? Valerian Root is a calming herb that promotes relaxation. It’s my favorite calming remedy.
- Do not have anything scheduled prior to your massage or after.
Why? Rushing to your massage appointment can induce stress, and leaving from a relaxing massage into running errands and driving in traffic can take away the calming affects from your massage. Let it last, and go home!
- Relax your muscles and your mind
Why? Tightening up is counterproductive. So try your best to relax your mind and body.
- Communicate with your massage therapist when you are in discomfort
Why? You want to be comfortable enough with your therapist to feel okay with letting them know how you are feeling. If you just suffer through the pain, your massage will be a waste of time because you will feel stressed the entire time. YOU are paying them. Let them know “it hurts!”
- Drink extra water after your massage.
Why? “Deep tissue massage releases toxins from the muscles and into the blood stream. They assert that the water helps the kidneys and pancreas to process those toxins. “ –Huffington Post
- Lay on the massage table for a couple of minutes after the session is over.
Why? Sometimes you may experience light headedness. It’s best to lay open on the table and take in the aroma of the spa and adjust to how you feel.
- Stay on schedule with your massages.
Why? Staying on schedule with your massages whether it be once a week, every other week, or once a month. Massage is very beneficial to detox. For you other special needs parents out there, make sure you make this a priority. Take care of yourself, don’t forget!